Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Bite-size pieces: a checklist for collaborative conversations

Here is a 'top ten' checklist for collaborative conversations. I quick read through before meeting with partners will encourage mutual understanding, help develop relationships and support collaborative effectiveness:

  1. I am talking with you not at you.
  2. I am very curious about you and your story.
  3. I am finding out about your view of the world and the problems and issues you feel we must address.
  4. I am listening to understand rather than gain information that helps me prepare my next argument.
  5. I am asking questions because I want to listen to and appreciate your answers rather than gain confirmation of my own views.
  6. I am aware of what I am saying, how I am saying it and the effect it is having on you.
  7. I am not afraid to say I am unsure or that I do not understand.
  8. I am saying what is on my mind and what you need to know rather than what I think you want to hear.
  9. I am aware that I do not have all the answers; that is why I am talking to you.
  10. I am working hard at unearthing and challenging my long held assumptions about you and our work.

No comments:

Post a Comment